Tuesday 14 March 2017

Garden Blog

Hello,    
I’m Nathan Smith, the Assistant Gardener at Windhill21! I am an ex-pupil and attended Windhill from 2006 until 2010 and am currently studying horticulture at Writtle University College in Chelmsford. I will be looking after and maintaining the school garden.
 
Since September I have been weeding and tidying up the school garden, improving the quality of the soil and planning exciting new projects. After the Easter break I will be sowing some seeds and planting with some of the pupils. Here are some of the things that I have been doing over the last couple of months. 
  • Weeding
  • Hedge and shrub pruning
  • Soil cultivation / ground preparation
  • Preparing the shed
  • Leaf clearing
  • Potting on the strawberry runners (stolons) 
 Box Heart
 Here is a shrub called Box that I have shaped into a heart
 
Before
 
 After

 Windhill21 School Garden Visitor

Every week since I started in September there has been a little visitor, meet Mr Robin!

 5 Quick Robin Facts

  • Robins can be seen across the UK in woodland, hedgerows, parks and gardens.
  • Robins can be seen all year round.
  • Robins eat Worms, seeds, fruits and insects.
  • Robins are from the Chats and thrushes family.
  • Robins live on average only for a couple of years, but a few reach quite an advanced age. The oldest known wild individual was 11 years 5 months.

  • Find out more about Robins and watch a video and hear a robin song on the RSPB website below:
    https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/bird-and-wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/r/robin/

    Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed the first garden blog.
    Nathan Smith
    Assistant Gardener
    Windhill21
     
        

    No comments:

    Post a Comment